Sunday 7 August 2016

Swindon Supermarine v Forest Green Rovers

Swindon Supermarine v Forest Green Rovers. The Webb's Wood Stadium, Tuesday August 2nd, 2016

As I sat in traffic waiting to get on to the M32 with my wipers on full speed, I questioned the wisdom of trying to rush from Bristol to Swindon after work to watch a pre season friendly. 
I shouldn't have doubted my self. The traffic cleared, the rain stopped and I arrived at the Webb's Wood Stadium in time for kick off and ready to enjoy some mid week football.

Swindome
First impressions are important. As soon as I arrived at the Webb's Wood stadium I knew I was on to a winner. After paying my £5 entry I was greeted by an immaculate pitch and lines of connifers providing the backdrop for the side opposite and the end behind the goal to my left. The turnstiles were between two all seated stands to the right and the clubhouse, complete with decking and cafe table and chairs going right to the pitch on the other side. The most impressive and unusal end of the pitch however, was the end to my right, where an imposing white bubble like domed building rose above the goal. 

After a quick trip to the bar, I settled at a pitch-side position with a pint of Hurricane Ale, from local brewers, Arkell's. A lovely drop. I quickly got chatting to two friendly supporters next to me. The bloke to my right was a font of knowledge of all things Supermarine. He easily answered my first question about the name. Apparently it refers to the Supermarine Aircraft company that used to operate on the site of the ground post world war II.


Having watched Larkhall and Mangotsfield last season, I'd been keeping half an eye on developments in the league that Supermarine play in, the snappily titled: Evo-Stick Southern League Division One South & West. Two big clubs have entered in time for this season, Hereford and Salisbury. At this level they have stadiums and playing budgets that will dwarf most teams in this division. Both 'Phoenix' clubs, Hereford still play at Edgar Street, regularly attracting crowds of 3,000 plus in a stadium that hosted football league games as recently as 2012. The respective relegation and promotion of Bideford and Barnstaple also means that the Evo-Stick Southern League Division One South & West will also showcase the fiercely contested North Devon derby.

I assumed that this influx of non league behemoths would be well received by supporters excited by the prospect of away days at bigger stadiums. My friend to my right though was more apprehensive, fearing that even clubs like Supermarine, who finished 4th last season, would be reluctant to spend any money on pushing for promotion, assuming Hereford and Salisbury will have it sewn up between them.

As we mulled this over, a good game was unfolding before us. Forest Green had bought a full strength squad, for me Charlie Clough stood out at the back, having started his carer at Bristol Rovers. It was also good to see Rob Sinclair, brother of Rovers cult hero Stuart, pulling the creative strings in midfield. Forest Green came second in the conference last season, loosing out at Wembley in the play off final to Grimsby. Owned by the eccentric green energy mogul, Dale Vince, they've had substantial investment over a sustained period in an effort to secure promotion in to the football league. With the recent arrival of the likes of Matt Tubbs and talk of a new stadium, it seems there is no sign of this slowing as they look for the final push to get them over the line.

                                 

Supermarine started brightly themselves, their impressive red haired left back was only 18 and looked strong and composed. The number 7 was also making things happen in midfield and for the opening exchanges you wouldn't have thought there was 3 divisions between the sides. After Forest Green scored their first goal though, when a point blank header was bungled in at the far post, the gap between the two clubs in the football pyramid became more apparent.



The bloke to my left turned out to be a Slough Town fan exiled in Swindon who watched Supermarine pretty often too. By the time he'd given me a potted history of Slough, including the exciting news of their moving in to brand new stadium, hopefully by August bank holiday, it was half time. 3-0 to Forest Green.

Clubhouse
Forest Green made 11 changes at the break including introducing the prolific lower league striker Matt Tubbs. As the evening darkened my eyes kept on being drawn to the now floodlit Swindome. Rising up immediately behind the goal like a giant spaceship It is quite a landmark and certainly makes the Webb's Wood stadium a unique looking ground. The friendly bloke to my right said he knew Keith, the vice chairman and I should ask him to have a look inside the dome after the game.

Back on the pitch, Forest Green were showing the depth of their squad as the 11 who came on all clearly had a lot of quality. They kept on creating chances and it wasn't long before Tubbs had poached a couple of goals. Supermarine had not rolled over however and scored themselves through Morris after he smashed in a long throw from close range. They kept on working and were unlucky not to get another before the final whistle.

Full time: Supermaine 1 Forest Green 5.



As I got ready to head back to the car my new friend introduced me to Keith the Vice Chariman who said he'd be happy to take me around the Swindome if I could wait 5 or 10 minutes. A minute later he was back saying the Chariman would be happy to show me inside the dome right away! Off I went with Jez the Chariman just minutes after the final whistle.

The Swindome definitely has a tardis quality to it. On going inside I was amazed by the space, it has 3 good size 5 a side pitches as well as a cafe bar area and a class room. Jez was rightly proud of the Swindome and spoke with passion about how it will become a valuable asset and focal point for the club and wider community. A youth academy is being set up, Glenn Hoddle is on his way for the grand opening and special shock absorbing underlay has been put down in an effort to protect joints and prolong the carers of the players.

Inside the Swindome: classroom and cafe area.
As we walked back from the dome, Jez chatted about the coming season and enquired of the grounds I'd
visited recently. I thought it spoke volumes of the friendliness of the club that the Chairman was happy to give a guided tour to a random bloke who showed a bit of interest when he could have been quaffing fair trade wine with Dale Vince. Jez's enthusiasm was infectious and I wouldn't be surprised if it rubs off on the rest of the club and Supermarine go on to have another successful season.

Having the chairman show me around was a nice end to a very enjoyable evening. I wish Supermarine all the best. The Evo-Stick Southern League Division One South & West has a lot of nice grounds and I look forward to cheering them on again soon, either back in the shadows of the Swindome or on their travels.






No comments:

Post a Comment